Settling In...Can Quilting Be Far Behind?

Feeling human again...hooray! Visited the cats in quarantine yesterday...so, so sad! A picture is worth a thousand words...Here's Patch, looking completely miserable.
And Spike and Cassie aren't much better...So, on to happier topics! Did I ever show you guys my first quilt? This was a log cabin quilt, obviously. I made all the blocks, not really tweaking to the fact that, no, really, each block is SUPPOSED to be EXACTLY the same size. After the fact I realized that these small variations were going to make for a wonky quilt, so the blocks sat for a couple of years. One day, I just said, "Blow it...I'm going to put them together." I did, and that was my first realization that sometimes a bit of variation can be quilted out...what a happy discovery!
It was also my first time to try free-motion quilting, and it didn't go too, too badly. Now this quilt is on our bed in Australia. It was made for a king-size and our bed here is a queen, but don't tell the Quilt Police!
This morning I started opening boxes and bins, and was so happy to find the first large chunk of my As Time Goes By quilt (I think I mentioned before that I love the BBC series, As Time Goes By, and there's an old-fashioned Pinwheel Quilt in it that I always love, so I decided to make one). This may be my first quilt to be finished in Australia...we'll see. And more and more antique quilts came out of boxes, and the stash bins presented themselves, yes, yes yes...

The only bad news is that my trip to Sydney to buy a Bernina is now postponed till early December, but since I'll be making the LONG trek to see the cats twice a week, that's probably not a bad thing.

So, if Blogger will cooperate, let's try to add a couple of shots of our place in Exeter this morning. The garden is looking gorgeous, and it's sunny and warm. Just need my sweetie to arrive on 16 Nov. and all will be well! Well, no, actually, no dice on more pics, so...another day.

Later

Comments

Libby said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one to have a multi-sized first log cabin *s* I even had the nerve to give mine as a gift.
Jane Ann said…
Dianne, you sound remarkably normal for the ordeal you've just been through. I personally would be looking like your cats for at least 2 weeks. So glad you're there, safe & sound, and are starting to fit together the pieces of this new puzzle in your life! I was so impressed when you told us the first order of business was a new Bernina, so I'm sorry it's been postponed. Even if you haven't time to use it, it could have at least smiled at you across the room. Soon, I hope!
Dianne said…
Thank, Libby and Jane Ann,

I'm doing really well today. Amzing what a LOT of sleep can do.

I'm disappointed not to be able to get up to Sydney to pick up my Bernina, but want to go with my friend, Margaret. I was too lagged to go Monday, and she's leaving on a vacation this week, so it'll have to wait till 4 Dec. Still, there's lots to do to sort out, organize and prepare, so all is not lost.
May Britt said…
Do not feel bad about your cats. They are just acting that to take a "revenge" on you. When my cat is alone for some days she always neglect me for a while to remind me: Pleas do not leave me again. But it will pass and your cats will love their new home.
Tonya Ricucci said…
Poor sweeties. They will get through it okay and then they will love all the freedom they have to roam at the new place.

Log cabin is such an easy, forgiving pattern - I love it.
Anonymous said…
Poor babies....
My husband's favorite show is "As Time Goes By" too. I am a bit tired of Jeanne & Lionel... (I think we have seen them all thrice!)
Laurie Ann said…
Glad you are starting to get settled. Poor kitties. That top picture makes me sad. :( They will be so happy when they finally get to come "home."
Do you realise that your cats are only doing pathetic faces while you are there? Then when they see you walk away they start playing and laughing about how that behaviour should see them get fresh meat for the first 12 months they are out of there rather than dry stuff!! I think cats are probably way ahead of us-they are up there with children!!
Love the log cabins and the pin wheels, 2 of my favourite things.
Oh that picture of Patch breaks my heart! At least you get to visit them! Your log cabin quilt looks great! And so does your time goes by so far!
The cats will be so happy when they get home with you and so will you.

Open boxes and tubs finding your quilts is a great way to be welcomed in your new home.
Anonymous said…
Boy, what a trip and by yourself too! You be the Woman!

Love your log cabin--should make your new house feel like home in a jiffy!
Anonymous said…
Welcome 'Downunder!!'
I hope you settle in well and enjoy our 'back to front' seasons - Christmas in summer!!!
I have been reading your blog for just a little while - what Aussie can resist a look when we notice your screen name???
There are many sewing addicts/quilters Downunder - hopefully you will get to know some soon!
Happy Sewing!
Your trip sounds like the nightmare we all fear having. Kudos to you for taking it ALL in stride and arriving down under in good spirits.
Tanya said…
Hi. I miss your blog. I'm a "lurker" but I can't seem to find your posts lately. Everything OK?

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam

Lady of the Lake

First Post From Australia!