OK, I'm suffering severe withdrawal since I can't quilt yet. So I decided to go back through my old photos and post a few of my golden oldies, made around 2002, 2003. The first one is called Maine Chance, and I made it for my sister, Sheri, as a quilt to be raffled off as a benefit for the convalescent hospital where she works. I thought it was fun to make the lighthouse blocks in the corners, and the mariner's compass in the center.
My other sister, Tracy, was redecorating her bedroom, using the colors lavender and butter yellow. So I designed this quilt (with help from Marcia Hohn's Quilter's Cache for the bow blocks) and called it the Lavender and Butter Quilt. It's queen size, but this photo shows it on my California king bed, so it looks a little too narrow.
My 85-year-old Mom has bad knees, and finds that extra warmth feels good on them. Blue is her favorite color, so I made this little lap quilt for her. She received it when she was in the early stages of Alzheimer's, so she was able to enjoy it for a little while before she descended into the mists. At this point, she's in fairly good physical health, but getting frailer every day, and her mind has betrayed her pretty completely. I'm glad she had a chance to enjoy this quilt before that happened.
My mother-in-law, Rae, had two black cats named Mahalia and Melissa. DH and I have also had two black cats, Margot and Alfonse. So when I saw this design on the net, I decided to make one for Rae. In spite of the fact that it includes applique, I had fun making it and still like it a lot today. I'd like to do some poking around in my old files and see if I can find some pics of the blocks I made for a Quilt University class a couple of years ago, Jane Was Nuts. These are Dear Jane-type blocks, but redrafted to be a more easily divisible size and thus much easier to make than the original Dear Jane blocks. The photos I have on my system now are so small it's hard to see the detail. The class was a good one, and a lot of fun to do. We also designed a finished quilt with the blocks in EQ5. I'll see if I can find my completed design, which used all the Jane Was Nuts blocks I had made, plus a few I have yet to do.
There! My quilt fix for the day!