Will It Ever End?

Yes, I've been sewing again, and making good progress on the antique quilt remake. But BOY am I tired of these 2.25" squares with triangles on each side that make up the square in a square for the large pink squares! I think I'm down to the last 100, and here are some pics of where things are. Here are the last cut pieces of these yucky corner units...I'll be so glad to see the end of them!
And here are the various bits awaiting being put together. You may recall, this is just for the drop sections of the quilt. The main top section is already pieced and awaiting quilting, once I find just the "right" backing for this quilt. Maybe that will be a task for me while I'm in the U.S.
Oh, WAIT! I just noticed those large triangles in the middle left of the above picture. Those ALSO need those corner units on two sides...GRRRRRRRR. That means another 40 or so of those units to be pieced. Sigh! Will this quilt ever be finished? Gives me new appreciation for the quilter who made the original, by hand, probably taking much longer even than mine is taking!

BTW, I just did a quick count, and this quilt required 328 of those little pieced corner units!

In other news, we're meeting with our architect this afternoon to see the first preliminary sketches for the remodel and extension on this house. Can't wait to see what she's come up with, and how closely it meets our brief for what we wanted. We'll be able to mull over these sketches while we travel around the U.S. for the next month, and hopefully we can move right along to permits and planning upon our return. Yippee!!!!

Comments

Yes it will end but you have a lot of sewing to do. Keep it up and you will have a great quilt!
Libby said…
Slow and steady -- you'll get there. I really don't enjoy when a pattern says, "cut (insert incredibly large number here) pieces." Just tell me to cut some strips and get to work -- the numbers can sometimes be to daunting to overcome.
Mary Johnson said…
I hate when I get to that point in a quilt when I'm tired of the piecing. It's a struggle to make yourself continue but it's going to be worth it in the end!
Clare said…
Patience, patience and more patience! I hate it when the cutting and sewing seems to go on forever. Think of the end result!
The Calico Cat said…
Those look neat! I have a UFO that needs the small triangles sewn to squares.... It is my Autumn quilt.
Hang in there because they are looking wonderful! It will be so worth it!
Sweet P said…
I really love the colors in your quilt. Anyway, I can understand the frustration with feeling like the piecing will never end. But in the end it will be worth it, wont' it?
Carol said…
The end is in sight, that's what you have to keep telling yourself. It is going to be a magical quilt. Gorgeous.
It will be well worth the effort. Have fun in the U.S. I hope the cats cope. Your leukeumia blocks are great. i blogged mine a few weeks ago and mailed last week. the end results look great on her site. safe travelling, Tracey
Lily Mulholland said…
Those kind of quilts scare me - and now I know why!!

Have fun touring back 'home'. I hope the council cooperates with you when you get back to Aus.
Rian said…
We quilters are funny lot--We eagerly buy and wash and cut fabric into little pieces, and then drive ourselves nuts trying to piece them back together again. There's a point at which you can feel the piecing sucking the brain cells right out of your skull. I hate that part.

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam

Lady of the Lake

First Post From Australia!