No Quilting, Just Knitting...

So, this is the state of affairs to date. In the center are the two pairs of socks I knit in Australia (well, I finished the second brown/purple/gold one on the plane and in California), below them the wonderful Koigu's, knitted on 3mm bamboo dpns. I tore through these, because the yarn was so wonderful to work with, and the pattern, from Sensational Knitted Socks, (the Baby Cable Rib), was a dream to knit.

And then there are the yarns, needles and other books I've picked up since I got here. Keep in mind that when you see one skein, there are actually two of most, since that's what it takes to knit socks. The dark turquoisy-blue at the top middle is Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks, and there are 11 skeins of that for a sweater. The lighter turquoise sock on the needles at top left is giving me fits. First toe-up sock, and the wraps for the toe and heel are NOT fun. I think I'll stick to cuff-down from now on. That's Crystal Palace's Panda Wool, a blend of wool, bamboo fiber and nylon, and what a dream to knit.

So, I've declared a moratorium on yarn-buying for the rest of this trip. The damage to my credit card is enough, already! (Oh, except for the yarns I bought in Australia on the Internet yesterday...uh-oh!) Good thing I brought an empty suitcase, to carry home my booty...

We're off to SoCal this evening for the weekend, to visit family, then back here for a couple of days before returning to Oz on Wednesday night. At least I'll have something to do on the plane!

Comments

Oh look at all your goodies! I love your socks!
Libby said…
Those spare suitcases always come in handy. The socks look great *s*
tami said…
The socks are great. I have gotten on a huge yarn buying kick lately too. The yarn shop across the street from where I work is having a 50% off sale. :-O
Rian said…
Yay for SoCal. Traffic, crowds, long waits at the ladies room...
Rose Marie said…
My, you will be busy knitting all these up. Aren't socks the best thing and so quickly to knit up? I just started and have used just regular 4ply to see if I would like them, but your yarn looks tempting to source out.
Mary Johnson said…
You have to stop with the socks - I'm beginning to want to give them a shot and I hate working with dpn.
Anonymous said…
Fun purchases and beautiful socks - I love the color of your Panda Wool!! I have used that exact Knitting Pure and Simple pattern 3 times (and I rarely knit anything more than once)
Looks like you've made a great haul during this trip!! Have a good journey home...
Wendy said…
Oh my your socks look great. I love knitting socks. Do you have a favourite pattern? I like the pattern with the varigated purple.
Patti said…
Oh, what a wonderful picture of all your yarn and projects! I am so drawn to the idea of knitting socks, but so far I'm holding off. I just don't have time for another hobby! But I so love wonderful colored stocks - hopefully, just maybe, knitting will still be "in" when I retire in 405 days!
Jenni said…
I love the look of the yarn next to the brown/orange socks. It is a shiny looking yarn in a skein. Is it a silk blend? Sorry about the Aussie yarn link, he he he, but the sock yarn was such a bargain I thought someone would be interested!
I miss your posts. Let's hear from you.

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam

Lady of the Lake

Woo-Hoo! New Machine at Last!