The Mother of Invention...

So, this is what the socks looked like when the airline inspectors were finished snipping off the ends: (Sorry about the color...the yarn is actually a pale sage green.) (Also sorry I forgot to take a pic of the other pair...a variegated red pair of Nutkins, just started, that I put on new needles when I reached Oakland, forgetting to photograph the carnage.)


So then, on the way back, I needed to try my hand at an end run around the inspectors, didn't I? And here is my triumph: bright red tweed neckwarmer, invented on the spot, comprised of simple K2P2 ribbing worked lengthwise, only I decided to add a ruffle at one end. Turned out kind of cute, no?It's a little loosely knit, though, because here's what I used to do the knitting...
There's more than ONE way to skin a cat!!

And here's what I've been working on since we got back to Oz. It's my first attempt at a Pi Shawl, from Elizabeth Zimmerman's fertile mind, knitted in Unspun Icelandic Wool...like knitting with a cloud. It's quite scratchy, though...not something to wear around your neck, but I think it will be very elegant when it's finished.
I haven't posted any house pics yet, because things are really rolling there this week and I want to wait till tomorrow when a lot of the gyprock will be up on the walls and you'll be able to see much better how it will look. More soon...





Comments

Oh, what a story. I called my husband over to read the previous post about the destruction of your needles, then I scrolled up to show him your improvised needles. We both were laughing out loud.
Good for you!
Carol said…
Oh dear. You really should warn us when there's a photo like your pen/needles! I laughed out loud and woke my hubby up who is still asleep.
McIrish Annie said…
YOu clever clever girl! HOw is it that knitting needles are weapons and mechanical pencils are not??

at any rate, your neck wrap is lovely!!
Libby said…
*ahhh* You are very clever!
Lily Mulholland said…
Very funny! And yes, I do like your improv neck warmer!

Welcome home :)
Granny said…
Good for you for improvising. I flew earlier this month with knitting needles and no one said a word. I waited to start my socks after I got through security and brought needles that I don't love .. just in case but all was well. Sorry it happened to you.
Very clever girl, that tricked them!! Love the shawl! Tracey
Unknown said…
What? The security people took away your needles? That's terrible! I remember the Yarn Harlot writing about a passenger on a plane with her asking to be seated elsewhere because the Yarn Harlot's in-flight knitting made them nervous. Good grief.

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam

Lady of the Lake

First Post From Australia!