As promised, I've been ratting through boxes and tubs to find the blocks I wanted to show you. This is a Lady of the Lake quilt I designed in EQ5 to fit my California King bed. However, as you'll see, there are eight zillion little HSTs in each block, and as I go forward, I keep thinking maybe I should scale back and just make it to fit the Queen bed we have now in Australia. But if we get a King again, I'll want to have the quilt on THAT bed...decisions, decisions. Hope I have the intestinal fortitude to keep on keepin' on with it! I started this quilt a few years ago, when we lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. I'd been collecting those indigo blues and some Civil War blues and butternuts for a little while, and then one day found the great white windowpane plaid fabric, which I thought gave a nice crispness to the design. Discovered as I went along that with all those HSTs around the edge of each block, it helped to press the seams open, rather t...
Second try at leaving SFO wasn't much better than the first. Got everyone boarded in time for the scheduled 11PM departure, taxied out for take-off, then sat, and sat and sat. Finally the dreaded voice of the pilot, "Uh, sorry folks, we can't seem to get the engines to start. We're returning to the terminal, and we'll keep you posted." This can't be happening, can it? Well, yes, it can! Back to the terminal, where they directed us to a new gate, new airplane, then told us we had to hurry and board because unless we were all on board and the doors to the aircraft closed by 1:35AM, the crew would be illegal, timewise, and we couldn't leave. Everyone scrambled, and with only about one minute to spare we got boarded and the doors closed. Third time's a charm, right? Uneventful flight, with most passengers just yucking it up because it was all so surreal. As we approached Sydney the pilot came on again. Westerly winds up to 35 knots, have to la...
Feeling human again...hooray! Visited the cats in quarantine yesterday...so, so sad! A picture is worth a thousand words...Here's Patch, looking completely miserable. And Spike and Cassie aren't much better... So, on to happier topics! Did I ever show you guys my first quilt? This was a log cabin quilt, obviously. I made all the blocks, not really tweaking to the fact that, no, really, each block is SUPPOSED to be EXACTLY the same size. After the fact I realized that these small variations were going to make for a wonky quilt, so the blocks sat for a couple of years. One day, I just said, "Blow it...I'm going to put them together." I did, and that was my first realization that sometimes a bit of variation can be quilted out...what a happy discovery! It was also my first time to try free-motion quilting, and it didn't go too, too badly. Now this quilt is on our bed in Australia. It was made for a king-size and our bed here is a queen, but don't tel...
Comments