A Coronavirus Quarantine Journal, Day 7

Momentous day -- halfway through our quarantine.    Nothing new, same old, same old.  But we begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We are gradually transitioning to the Continental Breakfast, feeling we could definitely do with a bit less food.  So one of us (Ross) tried the lighter option, and I kept with the eggs, mainly because I have such a weakness for hash browns.  But what is it with that bacon?  Now, I LOVE bacon, but when it isn't crispy, forget it.  And this was just about the opposite of crispy, so I gave it a miss.  Shared the eggs with Ross, and everybody was happy.



We had an excellent FaceTime chat with our friend V, in Melbourne.  We hadn't spoken with her in quite a while, and it was her first FaceTime chat.  After a slight bobble trying to get video going on both sides, all went well and we had a great chat.  She seems very cheerful and upbeat, enjoying her apartment in St. Kilda.  Pretty views from the windows, an adorable little kitchen, all the mod cons.

Lunch time drew near, so we said bye-bye and awaited our next meal treat.  And it WAS a treat, too:  Fish and Chips, nice and crispy -- a feat I thought would be impossible in these conditions.  We really enjoyed it, as well as the nice crispy apples for dessert.  Maybe yesterday was Crispy Day at the Wentworth!  (Though you couldn't have proved it by the breakfast bacon.)



Next up was a Zoom chat with Ross's mum Rae, and niece Kate.  Warrigal in Bundanoon, where Rae lives, has kindly organized for iPads to be brought to residents, by arrangement, so they can chat with loved ones.  Kate was in Queensland and we were in Sydney, of course, and all went smoothly.  It was Rae's first Zoom chat, and we were impressed that at 98 years of age she can take all these new-fangled devices and systems in her stride.  What a peach!

By mid-afternoon, my eyes were square from so much screen time -- between video sessions, email and staring at our computers to catch up on the news and Facebook, I felt the need for a little lie-down with eyes closed.  An hour or so of napping set me right again.  Ross did another batch of his laundry...what a handy fellow to have around in quarantine.

More supplies were delivered to our door, and I wonder if they might have an over-supply of instant coffee packets, sugar, bottled water, shampoo and toilet paper.  All were included in our care package again, and I think we are supplied through the rest of 2020!

Dinnertime came -- we wondered how we could possibly eat again so soon, but we soldiered on.  Would you look at the size of that lasagne!  It was really good, but I think we each managed to eat about one-sixth before admitting defeat.  Please note that nearly empty salad container at the right...Mrs. Klutz managed to knock against it, the lid popped off, and nearly the entire thing landed on the floor.  Just that one lettuce leaf was left for me to eat.  Ross offered to share, but I opted for another half-glass of wine, instead -- as you do.  The garlic bread and dessert were binned, sadly, because we were too full (I almost said "we were just stuffed", but I've learned over the years that THAT is a rude expression in Australia!)


Tomorrow is another day...one day closer to quarantine's end.

Comments

Adele said…
So much food every day and no opportunity to burn it off doing exercise ! You might be very fat by the end of next week ! Can you not ask for lighter meals, it seems such a waste ..Let’s hope you do not completely go off cooking, after being served so well !..
Stay positive, you will soon emerge ! Cheers,
Adele and Chris
Dianne said…
There's no asking for any special treatment, really, Adele , though we could have specified vegan, gluten-free or vegetarian when we first arrived. Still, no complaints...we can enjoy this heavier foods for two weeks and then go back to our regular eating regime when we're home.
Nicole said…
Oh dear, that bacon. Is it even cooked? I am with you, it's got to be REALLY crispy. I am so glad you could do Zoom with Ross's mum. My sister has been setting up chats with us including our 94 year old dad, and he is just tickled with the technology. He kept saying "I can see you! Can you see me?" It was fun to see how much he enjoyed it. He has been so lonely without the family around. I have just one sister who lives fairly near him and she goes over once a week with food and has a nice visit. My nephew lives with him, so he isn't totally on his own, but still.
Isn't it funny how expressions differ between countries? Saying you are stuffed is rude? lol My son's Irish girlfriend used to cringe when we said certain things too.
Dianne said…
I know, Nicole...first of all, it's hard to find actual bacon here, as we normally think of it in the US. What is common here is what we think of as "Canadian bacon". Also, I think the smoking process used here is different. Bacon doesn't crisp in the same way, or as quickly, as bacon we are used to. I think the smoking process involved actually cooks the bacon...the fat doesn't release in quite the same way. Can you tell I'm a bacon lover? I was over the moon when I discovered something called "American Style Bacon" at the supermarket here...it's close, but not quite the same. Any port in a storm!

As for "stuffed" -- it's rude because it means the "F" word here! You can imagine the shocked silence around the dinner table at my in-laws the first time I declined a second helping, declaring I was just stuffed!

Glad your Dad is loving the video chats...we really do live in a Brave New World.

Popular posts from this blog

Lady of the Lake

Settling In...Can Quilting Be Far Behind?

Leavin', on a Jet Pla...Jet Pla...Jet Pla...